Just one short bike ride and I saw five beautiful things:
– Quail parents, herding a huge bunch — it might be called a covey — of puffball babies into a wheat field.
– A large and gorgeous hawk sitting by the roadside on a phone pole, emitting loud shrieks at regular intervals — which may be why the quail were scurrying into the cover of a wheat field.
– An elderly woman in a large, flowing housecoat and walking down a driveway to retrieve her newspaper from the box out by the road, being trailed very closely by an enormous gray cat.
– A young girl, long hair streaming out behind her, riding through a field on a beautiful white horse.
– A woman with a small easel, sitting cross legged on the cement of her driveway, making a blank canvas come alive with color.